The nub in the nasal passage is known as sinus infections or sinusitis. It is an internal fault in the nasal system. It affects some sensitive parts of the body like the eyes, nose, and head. One with a sinus infection may also suffer from high fever, breathing problem, thick nasal secretion. If you will ask, are sinus infection contagious or not, then the answer will be yes. Sinus infections can be spread from the air or getting in contact with infected things. This was a short description of sinus infections. Now we will move in detail about the sinus infection.
Types of Sinus Infections
- Ethmoid sinuses, this is caused between the eyes of the body
- Sphenoid sinuses, this sinus affects the eyes area of the body.
- A frontal sinus is found on the forehead of the body.
- A maxillary sinus affects the cheeks bones area of the body.
The maxillary sinuses are located above the teeth, below the cheeks and on the sides of the nose. And the maxillary sinus is the biggest of the paranasal sinus disease. Maxillary Sinus can have the following symptoms:
- Runny nose
- Pain or pressure in the face near the cheekbones
Among the entire sinus maxillary sinus cyst is the largest paranasal sinus.
Some people take sinus and cold at the same thing. Here are the differences between sinus infections and common cold.
Sinus Infection vs Cold
Cold is caused by viral infections. One gets rid of cold within a week, if not then must consult a doctor. The cold virus affects the respiratory systems, and our immune system is strong enough to fight with these viruses. It is a common disease.
Symptoms of cold
- Sore throat
- Discolored mucus
- Dry throat
A sinus infection swells the nasal passage, this is a virus-infected disease but it causes swelling in the body parts. During sinus, there is an air-filled cavity between the passages of the nose, and this air cavity causes swelling.
Sinus Infection Symptoms
- Bad breathe
- Reduction in the sense of smell
- Yellow or greenish mucus
- Nasal congestion
- Pain all over the face.
Now, one can easily recognize between sinus infections and cold.
Causes of getting Sinus Infections
- Virus– the basic symptom is common to that of cold. Sinus starts with virus infections. If you are affected by the sinus virus then the symptoms will grow stronger day by day. One must be away from infected sources.
- Allergies– if you are a person who gets allergies from many things, then it is easy for you to get infected with sinus virus. Being allergic shows that you have a weak immune system and thus any virus or bacteria can easily infect your body organs.
- Bacteria– if you are suffering from cold and even after taking antibiotics your cold does not get resolved then you might have trapped with sinus infections. You must not avoid this and must visit a doctor as soon as possible.
- Fungus– it is also one of the main reason for getting infected with sinus. If your immune system is trapped with a harmful virus of fungus then sinus can grow easily.
Things one must Avoid Doing in Sinus Problems
Swimming and Diving
as our nasal is a very sensitive organ. If you are suffering from sinus then you must be away from chlorine water. Staying for a long time in chlorine water will cause irritation to your nasal and this will swell the nasal passage and then your usual sinus problems will disturb you.
Using of nose inhaler
Using nose inhaler too much will cause a sensation in your nose and this will again cause swelling in the nose. One must be careful with all these products which give a negative effect on sinus patients.
The smoke of burning cigarette is very harmful to the organ, it will cause a breathing problem and also it will cause swelling in the nasal passages, this will give rise to the symptoms of sinus.
Perfumes and Scents
Some people have allergies with the smell of perfumes, it is recommended for them to stay away from it. To those who have a sinus problem and also have allergies from the smell of perfumes, they must take extra care about it. The smell of perfume may cause irritation in the nasal passage and thus will result in congestion of nasal passage.
Going to Higher Altitude
At a higher altitude with the low-pressure belt, there is a lack of oxygen; this will affect them who have a sinus problem. It will become difficult for them to breathe there and thus will result in a headache, facial pains and other sinus symptoms.
Foods that cause Sinus Problems
Caffeine is harmful to those who have a sinus problem. As it makes your body dry. During sinus, there is a discharge of water from the body in the form of mucus too. So it is suggested to drink more water and avoid taking caffeine.
Avoid taking Cold Food Items
Taking cold food items like cold water, cold drinks or ice creams are likely to result in cold, and for the one who is suffering from sinus, taking cold food items will result in congestion of nasal and mucus discharge.
Are Sinus Infection Contagious through Kissing
Make sure that you avoid kissing as much as you can as Sinus infections are contagious. One should avoid direct contact with the patient of a sinus infection in case sinusitis is due to a general viral infection.
How to get rid of a Sinus Infection
How to get rid of sinus infections are the most common questions asked. There are many ways to get rid of sinus infections. One must follow the steps that they are asked to do. One can take medicines to get rid of sinus, or one can follow some home remedies for it. One must avoid those things which can cause sinus problems, as we know precautions are better than cure. One can easily get rid of sinus infections if they are rigid to their goal. So taking proper self-care is the foremost thing to do. Exercise is another way to cure sinus problems.
Home Remedies to Cure Sinus Infections
Here is the list of some simple home remedies for sinus infection :
Keeping your surrounding humid not dry
if you are in a dry surrounding then the mucus will also get dried up and it will not get discharged. As the mucus is blocked into your nasal passage it will result in congestion in the nose. So your surrounding need to be humid as it will help in an easy discharge of mucus. Home Remedies for Cold and Cough in Babies
Add more spice to your diet
Have you ever ate over spicy food and then suffered a running nose?. An over spicy food results in running nose, for those who have sinus problem it will be easier for them to discharge the mucus.
Taking a foot bath
Soaking your feet in warm water is much more relaxing. This will enhance the flow of blood in the body. This will improve the nose conditions and remove the problem of bad breathing.
Peppermint oil this oil is very effective for curing the headache during sinus. As it quickens the flow of blood in the forehead.
It is one of the best natural items for curing sinus nasal congestion. It makes the flow of mucus easy and also cures a headache and eyes pain.
Some other Home Remedies for Sinus Infection
How to get rid of a sinus infection without antibiotics:
- Apple cider vinegar
- Tea tree oil
- Tomato tea
- Massage in the sinus parts
- Eucalyptus oil
- Turmeric tee
- Stem treatments
- Taking a warm shower bath
Coming to the Antibiotics for Sinus Infection
One who is suffering from sinus does not have to worry much about it. Science has developed to an extreme extent. Not only are they growing in the field of technologies but also in the field of medicines. In order to get the best antibiotic for a sinus infection, one must visit the best doctor. Also. one must follow the time for taking the medicines. The antibiotics are of heavy dose so one must take a proper meal.
Sinus Infection Antibiotics
- Amoxicillin– this pill is given to the patients as it kills the harmful bacteria.
- Moxifloxacin– This is a heavy dose pill, it is very effective on bacteria. This medicine is newly manufactured to replace the old bacterial medicines. So it works very fast and kills stubborn bacteria.
- Cotrim– sinus bacteria needs lots of folic acid in order to survive in the body, the Cotrim pills restrain the production of the folic acids and then the bacteria die in the body.
- Cefuroxime– it destroys the cell wall of bacteria and thus kills the bacteria. It is among the most powerful capsule for treating sinus infections.
- Advil cold and sinus – One of the most popular medicines used to treat sinus infections is Advil Cold & Sinus.
Some other Antibiotics for Sinus Infections Contagious
- Leva quin
Essential Oils for Sinus
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Oregano Essential Oil
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Rosemary Essential Oil
- Lemon Essential Oil
In today’s world sinus infection is one of the common problems. It is easily transferable and quite tough to get rid of it. There are several medicines and home remedies available for sinus infections. One must not depend on these two; they must care about the things to do and things to avoid. Therefore going for a regular checkup for sinus treatment should not be avoided. After all, health is the best gift to a person and one must take proper care of it.