Dengue Fever can reduce your platelets and may cause weakness in your body. Also, it is one of the most dangerous diseases in the rainy season. The bite of Aedes aegypti mosquito causes dengue fever. Symptoms of dengue fever start appearing in the patient about 3-5 days after the mosquito bite. It is not possible to eliminate the dengue-spread Aedes mosquito. It can remain alive even in a warm to a tropical environment. Its eggs are not visible to the eyes, due to which it is not easy to kill. On contact with water, the egg turns into a larva and then becomes adult mosquito.
Dengue is a common disease in South Eastern countries such as Indonesia. The majority of infected people are quite young. For example, when dengue cases were reported in Bangladesh in the year 2000, about 82% of the people admitted to the hospital were mostly teenagers. Apart from this, new cases have also come up in Singapore, Philippines, Thailand.
There are some countries like Pakistan, China, etc. which are considered at high risk. At the same time, in India, 0.2 million people were hit by dengue in 2019. Since then, the government there has paid more attention to the abolishment of the breeding places of mosquitoes. As a result of which the number of dengue cases in India has decreased.
The Ministry of Health in India says that only a handful of dengue cases have been reported in India as of now.
High-risk locations in South America include Rio de Janeiro, Sergio Cortés. Along with this, North American countries like Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela also have a few dengue infected patients. Along with this, dengue cases have also been reported in most African countries and some areas of Australia.
Most cases of dengue usually arise from places where there is extreme poverty. Due to which not only is there a lack of cleanliness, but people also do not get treated properly. This is the reason that not only dengue cases occur in large numbers but also the death ratio of patients is quite high. This is not seen in any one country but many countries. Although the governments of various countries are taking steps now, along with the World Health Organization, people are given more information about the disease by conducting awareness campaigns to prevent the spread of the infection.
Symptoms of Dengue Fever
- Sudden high fever Head, muscle and joint pain
- Pain in the back of the eye
- Feeling extreme weakness
- Loss of appetite
- Mickle and a bad taste in the mouth
- Mild sore throat
- Red-pink color rash on the body, especially on the face, neck, and chest
Methods of protection against mosquitoes
- Get fine gauze installed on windows and doors.
- Use garlic as much as possible. Mosquitoes run away from its smell.
- Applying lavender oil on the skin keeps mosquitoes away.
- Neem oil is also very useful in mosquito repellent. Mosquitoes do not bite by using a little neem oil on the body before sleeping.
- Do not allow water to accumulate around the house or office. Fill the pits with soil. Clean the stalled drains.
- If it is not possible to stop the accumulation of water, add petrol or kerosene oil.
- Room cooler, vase all the water once a week, and empty the pot of food grains to birds daily, dry them and fill them again.
- Use cream, spray, mats, coils, etc. to kill mosquitoes.
- Spray mosquito repellent once a week in all places inside the house. Sprinkle this medicine on the back of photo-frames, curtains, calendars, etc. In store-rooms and all corners of the house.
- Add chlorine pills to drinking water and boil water before drinking it.
Common mistakes to avoid in Dengue Fever
- Do not take aspirin at all. Also, avoid painkillers such as Brufen, Combiflame, etc. These drugs can reduce platelets and cause bleeding in the body. In any type of fever, the safest option is to take Paracetamol, such as Crocin.
- By taking more anti-biotic, the body becomes immune to it, and they do not affect when needed. It also kills the good bacteria of the body.
- Covering the body with a sheet while one has dengue fever increases body temperature. Instead, allow the patient to feel fresh. Switch on the fan.
- Many times, the patient is not given a bath for days. If you are not in a position to take a shower, take a sponge bath.
Dengue Fever Vaccine
There is a vaccine named (Dengvaxia®) to prevent dengue fever is licensed and available in some countries for people age group 9 to 45 years. The World Health Organization recommends that Dengue vaccine only be given to persons with confirmed prior dengue virus infection.
Dengue is a quite common disease. In case you get infected, do not worry! With proper medications and under proper care, you will recover within no time. However, the severity of the disease varies from person to person. As they say, “precaution is better than cure,” remember to wear full-sleeved clothes while going out. Also, remember to clean the nearby water bodies after regular intervals.