An elimination diet meal plan is a way to check oneself for allergies against certain food products. This process involves avoiding certain food products completely from their diet for a certain time period which is generally a few weeks and then reintroducing them into their diet one at a time. This way it is possible to identify which food products produce reaction in the body.
RECIPES FOR ELIMINATION DIET & ELIMINATION DIET FOODS
What is an elimination diet? There are many versions of the elimination diet plan and it is up to the individual which he wants to follow. It is completely acceptable to choose one’s own omission adventure and especially when the individual has already began to suspect certain food products which are allergic to him and cause issues. Some of the popularly followed recipes for an elimination diet meal plan are below. One can have a detailed overview and choose one according to his weight loss needs.
- The Easy elimination diet meal plan which excludes gluten, dairy, soy, eggs (phase 1); peanuts, shellfish, corn (phase 2); tree nuts, fish (phase 3); refined and artificial sweeteners, preservatives (phase 4). This has a duration of 4 phases, 21 days each.
- Mind Body Green’s Functional Medicine Elimination Diet which excludes gluten, dairy (except clarified butter or ghee), corn, soy, sugar (refined and artificial sweeteners), all grains, eggs, nightshade vegetables, pulses/legumes, tree nuts, peanuts and seeds. This has a duration of 60 days total, including reintroduction period and 3-week elimination.
- The Whole 30 which excludes gluten, dairy (except clarified butter or ghee), corn, soy, sugar (all natural, refined and artificial sweeteners), all grains, pulses/legumes (except those with edible pods like snap peas), peanuts and additives (MSG, nitrates, etc.). This has a duration of 30 days.
- Autoimmune Paleo / Protocol (AIP) which excludes gluten, dairy (except clarified butter or ghee), corn, soy, sugar (refined and artificial sweeteners), all grains, eggs, nightshade vegetables, pulses/legumes (including those with edible pods like snap peas), tree nuts, peanuts, seeds (including seed-based spices, like cumin), gums and tapioca. This has a duration of 6-8 weeks.
- Hashimotos 4-Week Plan which excludes gluten, dairy, corn, soy (except gluten-free tamari sauce), sugar (all natural, refined and artificial sweeteners), nightshade vegetables, pulses/legumes, tree nuts, peanuts, fish and seafood. This has a duration of 4 weeks.
- The Low-FODMAP Diet which excludes gluten, dairy (with the exception of certain cheeses), high fructose sweeteners and fruits (honey, agave, corn syrup, apples), pulses/legumes (including those with edible pods like snap peas), members of the onion family (garlic, shallot, scallions) and other vegetables high in Inulin. The duration of this elimination diet plan varies.
Elimination Diet Eczema and Elimination Diet Allergies
Most people are allergic to one or the other food products. Common allergy causing foods include milk, eggs, nuts, wheat, shellfish and soy. The condition of eczema is somewhat similar to that of an allergy.
Eczema is a condition in which a person develops patches of dry or itchy skin on their body. Eczema is generally a result of inflammation in the body. As such, avoiding food products that cause inflammation or eating food products that reduce inflammation can be a great help in reducing the symptoms of eczema.
Although there are some anti-inflammatory foods such as Fish, Foods high in probiotics (like yogurt, miso soup, kefir, kombucha, etc.), Foods high in inflammation-fighting flavonoids (this includes colorful fruits and vegetables such as apples, broccoli, cherries and spinach) which can help lower the eczema flare-ups, following a certain elimination diet meal plan really helps.
To determine which foods may be causing the reactions, doctors too recommend an elimination diet meal plan. This will involve avoiding some of the common eczema causing foods. In this diet plan, an individual needs to slowly add each type of food into their diet and then observe their eczema for around 5 weeks to analyze the particular food to which they are allergic. If an individual’s inflammation increase after adding a certain food product, they must consider avoiding it in future.
Similarly, if an individual’s symptoms are same after eliminating a certain food product, they need not remove it from their diet. Some common food products that are known to increase eczema inflammation and can be considered for elimination from one’s elimination diet meal plan are dairy products, eggs, gluten or wheat, soy, citrus fruits, tomatoes, spices such as vanilla, cloves, cinnamon and some types of nuts.
Elimination Diet Meal Plan for Migraines
There are cases in which certain food products or drinks can trigger migraine for some people. If food is the cause, an elimination diet plan can help here. Although it is preferable to consult a doctor before following a certain elimination diet meal plan, there are some general rules which one can follow. So, the basic idea here too is to cut out all foods and drinks from your diet that you suspect can add to your migraine pains and then slowly add them back one by one to figure out which food product is actually affecting you. Some food that people find common in bringing up their migraine symptoms are below.
- Monosodium glutamate (MSG) · Canned, cured, or processed meats and fish · Cheese and dairy products
- Nuts · Alcohol and vinegar
- Aspartame (NutraSweet) and saccharin (Sweet and Low)
- Soy products (miso, tempeh, soy sauce)
Since migraines can get their symptoms from many other causes, an elimination diet meal plan is not always the correct way to find the exact cause. One should always discuss whatever plan he is following with his doctor and must not change any of their medication doses until the doctor says to do so. Moreover, elimination diet plan is just a way to find the food which produces the symptoms of migraine.
All in one, an elimination diet meal plan helps one to determine the foods or drinks to which his body is allergic or cannot tolerate it. As such, if anyone is facing some medical issues or experiencing any symptoms which are a result of his food habits or diet plan, then an elimination diet plan can help to discover those foods and the person can get rid of them. Want to learn about Carnivore Diet Meal Plan?
However, this may not always be the case. Also, elimination plan is not for everyone. Children and people with special medical condition must consult their doctors before following any kind of elimination plans. Lastly, it’s important to note that elimination diet meal plan should only be followed for short term as long term restrictions may cause nutritional deficiencies in the human body.