Mammogram Screening is the best way to spot and detect breast cancer and reduce the risks posed by this fatal disease. Health outcomes are greatly improved when the diagnosis of the disease is made as early as possible. As per the new research, the participation in mammography screening helps to substantially reduce the risk inflicted by fatal breast
As per the researchers, mammography screening is found to reduce the chances of breast cancer by forty-one percent, that is, within ten years of the diagnosis of the disease. Also, it helps to bring a reduction of about twenty-five percent in the rate of advanced breast cancer.
What is the Best way to detect Breast Cancer?
To arrive at correct conclusions, the researchers compared the rates of advanced breast cancer, before and after mammography screening. The patients were subjected to an observation period of ten years after the diagnosis was conducted. They were judged on the fatality rate of women who had mammogram screening and those who did not have one. The tumor characteristics were taken into notice.
It was found that the average time period in which breast cancer become fatal in ten years of diagnosis is 22 years for advanced disease and 13 years for benign stage of the disease.
Also, a total reduction of sixty percent was found in the cases of fatal breast cancer within ten years of diagnosis among women who had a screening test done as compared to those women who did not get the test done.
What is a Mammogram Screening?
Mammogram screening is best defined as the X-Ray of the breast. It helps in the early diagnosis of breast cancer, benign tumors, and cysts. Women who have lumps, pain, or nipple discharge should opt for a mammogram.
While mammography fails to arrive at the conclusion that any abnormal changes seen in the breast are cancerous, at the same time, it does raise suspicions that the subject is maybe suffering from cancer. After mammograms are done, a biopsy is done to conclude whether or not the person has cancer. Any abnormal tissue can be further removed using a needle or even by open surgical biopsy. The tissue is then kept under observation to determine the presence of cancerous cells.
Mammogram screening has been in existence for the last thirty years, and the last fifteen years have seen significant growth in both the techniques as well as the results. Today, advanced equipment is used for conducting breast X-rays, which are of high quality and have a low radiation dose—also, mammography subjects the patient to minimize radiation risk.
What are the ways in which we can combat Breast Cancer?
As per the various researches conducted, breast cancer can be combated if we follow a high fiber diet. Women who consumed a high fiber diet had eight percent lesser chances of developing breast cancer.
There are numerous possible explanations which explain how high fiber diet combat breast cancer. The best explanation being the fact that fiber may also help with weight control, which is a big known risk factor for postmenopausal cancer. Apart from helping to fight against breast cancer, fiber-rich food also helps to reduce the amount of circulating estrogen.
A list of the top 10 Food items Which are high in Fiber
- Raspberries: This fruit belongs to the berries family. They contain a good amount of fiber and have antioxidant property. The amount of fiber content found in these fruits is around 8g per 1 bowl of raspberries.
- Turnips: It is a root vegetable which is rich in beta-carotene, vitamins, and an enriched amount of fiber content. One cup of turnip contains 5g of fiber. The water content in turnip also aids in the easy cooking of the vegetable.
- Spinach: This green leafy vegetable is an excellent source of iron and is rich in fiber. Spinach is an easy to cook vegetable which contains 4g of fiber in a single serving bowl.
- Strawberries: It is a rich antioxidant, and is fiber-enriched fruit. One bowl of 200 grams strawberries contains 4 grams of fiber content.
- Prunes: Prunes are dried plums, which are high fiber diet The prunes are filled with 8g of fiber per serving.
- Banana: A medium sized banana consists of 3g of fiber. Apart from helping to fight cancer, it also helps combat constipation issues and helps in smooth bowel movements.
- Cauliflower: It falls under the Brassica vegetable category. One bowl of cauliflower is loaded with 5g of fiber content.
- Orange: Orange consumption helps in gaining a good amount of fiber accompanied with other mineral and vitamin content. Orange contains 4g of fiber in one serving.
- Apples: Apples are filled with high fiber content along with a good amount of vitamins and minerals. It is best to serve apple along with sugar and cinnamon powder dusting.
Some natural cancer fighting foods can be used to treat disease in the body. By taking of these foods can reduce the risk of cancer. Hopefully now you are aware of the ways in which you can combat cancer and do proper diagnosis of the disease. But, like they always say,” better be safe than sorry”.
Cancer treatments require a lot of money and generally put a hole in your wallet. Getting a mammography done is only the tip of the iceberg. Cancer treatments include much more than that. Thus it is advised to get a cancer insurance done. Read on to know the factors you should consider before opting for a cancer insurance policy.