With every passing day, people are coming across new signs of the coronavirus. Recent research has shown that the coronavirus harms human skin. Some Spanish dermatologists say that they have seen many unusual symptoms in the skin of patients suffering from COVID-19. Also, asymptomatic patients can be identified by such marks seen on the skin.
Superficial skin swelling is like temporary edema on the skin surface. The reason for this can be many. The most common symptoms of skin swellings are itching and burning. However, it can be a symptom of the coronavirus. Sometimes allergic reactions can also be the reason for it. It doesn’t bulb out at once. It usually takes a few hours for the skin to swell.
Causes of Superficial Skin Swelling
The most common causes of external swelling include
- Insect bites: Insect bite is the most common cause of superficial skin swelling. Whenever an insect bites, it releases some chemicals on the skin surface. This chemical gets inside the body and creates a disturbance in the balance of other biochemicals. Thus, the fluid around the body comes to the surface for treatment, and the skin begins to swell.
- Rash– Rashes are the bumpy patches on the skin that cause swelling due to heat intolerability. It is common in the case of children as their surface is smoother and more sensitive than an adult’s.
- Hives: Hives occur due to allergic reactions if food, medicine, or some other irritant. Hives trigger the skin surface to come out, which causes swelling of the skin or superficial skin swelling.
- Injury:-Accident or damage in any part of the body causes swelling. The main reason behind this would be the accumulation of direct pressure on the part affected by an injury.
- Fluid retention: Whenever there is some defect in the nephron. The filtration of fluid inside the nephron is incomplete. This incomplete absorption of fluid retains outside another organ near the kidney and causes swelling.
- Pregnancy: At the time of pregnancy, swellings are common due to improper chemical movement between the fetus and mother.
Other common causes of widespread swelling include
- Kidney failure: In neurogenic defects, the fluid balance in the body gets deflected. For that reason, homeostasis in the body is maintained by liquid irregular transportation, which is the primary cause of superficial swelling.
- Heart failure: In cardiac patients swelling is more common because the heart is pumping out blood in an aggressive manner for which the flow of blood increases and cause irregular deposition of fluid at various part leading to swelling problems—anaphylaxis (a severe allergic reaction).
- Venomous insect bite: Insect bite is a common factor for swelling due to the release of incompatible tissue poisoning chemicals. These poisons in the body disrupt fluid transportation, and swelling occurs.
Note: In these testing times, skin rashes may even be a symptom of coronavirus. If you are suffering from one, visit the doctor at the earliest.
Sign and Symptoms of Superficial skin swelling
The common symptoms of superficial skin swelling are:
- Intestinal symptoms
- Joint pain
Treatment of Superficial Skin Swellings
The treatment of swelling depends on its cause; different treatment measures are precise for various swelling issues.
- If the tumor is the cause of the swelling, then surgery is needed for recovery.
- If an allergic reaction is the primary cause of swelling, the doctor will prescribe it for treatment.
- If the primary cause of swelling is due to accident or organ issue, then a treatment based on the particular organ and disease will decrease swelling.
- If swelling is caused due to snake venom or other poison, the doctor will prescribe the proper antidote for the treatment. Neutralizing the poison in the body at that time is the only cure to reduce swelling.
- In case of skin inflammation and skin easing, then taking topical steroids can be a choice of treatment for the swelling.
- If edema occurs due to the accumulation of water bodies, then giving diuretic drugs can reduce the superficial swelling.
Skin swelling usually affects the mucous membranes, and most commonly, urticaria is the main symptom behind it. In the case of chronic spontaneous urticaria, the swells even develop in hours on hand and leg.
The problem of Angioedema is common in the region of the head and eyelids. Sometimes few cases are seen with lips and tongue too. Reach out to the doctor at the earliest and get it treated.